BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC)- A community is still in shock over the loss of their neighbor after a deadly house fire.
The fire broke out early Saturday morning in Clanton. A 61-year-old woman was inside.
Earneshay Varner and Tyrone Campbell helped rescue the woman. They told FOX6 when they got to her, she was burned from head to toe. EMT's arrived and rushed the woman to the hospital, but she did not survive.
Varner and Campbell say they heard a loud explosion right before they saw the fire.
"I woke up to a loud boom. I looked out my window and saw my neighbor's house on fire. I immediately ran out and she was trying to make it out the side entrance door," said Varner. "I got to her, gave her my shirt."
"I thought a bomb went off, the way it sounded," said Campbell. "I jumped up, come to the door and when I seen the flames, it made me nervous."